BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) Brake feel and braking characteristics of the X1

04-10-2023, 12:09 PM   #1
Carlman3
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 X1, 2009 328i

Brake feel and braking characteristics of the X1

It has taken me a long time to learn how to brake smoothly on my 2020 X1. The brakes seem to have a lot of 'take-up' or get grabbier as I brake... Maybe 'progressive friction' is what it would be called..

In any case, I don't like it... makes it hard to stop smoothly or transition from slowing to going. I like modulation to be done by my foot not whatever mechanism is going on here. I usually swap brakes for Stop-Tech pads and rotors on my cars and enjoy nice, smooth, linear braking that doesn't change much... Plus, they're not too dusty... not as clean as Akebonos, but they work better for me.

This isn't a huge thing, it's something car people would notice and I plan to address.. but wasn't sure if anyone else had noticed/experienced the progressive friction and fixed it.

I will definitely replace the pads and rotors at some point with my usual choice (if available).

Does anyone know who the OEM is for the pads on our cars? Or the material?
Appreciate 1
Homersbud203.50
      04-10-2023, 12:43 PM   #2
allwheelsdriven
#onelesssubaru
Rep
Drives: 16 BSM X1 MSport

I've been on akebonos for several years. No issues
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2023, 12:57 PM   #3
Carlman3
Private
Rep

So you replaced the X1 original brakes with Akebonos years ago and that fixed this issue?
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2023, 04:42 PM   #4
jrveron
Captain
Argentina
Rep
Drives: 2023 X3 m40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlman3 View Post
It has taken me a long time to learn how to brake smoothly on my 2020 X1. The brakes seem to have a lot of 'take-up' or get grabbier as I brake... Maybe 'progressive friction' is what it would be called..

In any case, I don't like it... makes it hard to stop smoothly or transition from slowing to going. I like modulation to be done by my foot not whatever mechanism is going on here. I usually swap brakes for Stop-Tech pads and rotors on my cars and enjoy nice, smooth, linear braking that doesn't change much... Plus, they're not too dusty... not as clean as Akebonos, but they work better for me.

This isn't a huge thing, it's something car people would notice and I plan to address.. but wasn't sure if anyone else had noticed/experienced the progressive friction and fixed it.

I will definitely replace the pads and rotors at some point with my usual choice (if available).

Well, let me tell you that the feeling won't go away completely. It's just how the system works. I changed my rotors and pads a time ago, and I got a better byte that reduces the feeling. But it's still present.

If you are curious, I installed some EBC slotted rotors with EBC yellowstuff pads. I also installed SS brake lines.
      04-11-2023, 07:12 PM   #5
Carlman3
Private
Rep

That's basically what I was planning to do. Thanks for setting my expectations...
Better will still be nice.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2023, 06:36 PM   #6
Boltokgroq
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F48 X1

It’s funny, I felt the same way for the first 3-4 months of owning my X1. I’ve finally gotten my footwork down to where it’s smooth, but it does take some getting used to.
Appreciate 1
      04-13-2023, 09:02 AM   #7
vapore0n
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i

I dont like the brake feel on this car.
The pads seem to have tons of grip, and the booster system is tuned to boost too early. I have to touch the brake pedal with my pinky toe just so it brakes at a normal pace.

Might eventually change the pads to something less grippy.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2023, 09:46 AM   #8
Fredro
GOLD Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X1 xDrive Premium

I actually really like the braking on my 2020 x1.
2020 x1 xDrive : Black Sapphire Metallic : Premium Package : Fine Wood Fineline Trim : Sport Seats : Wireless Charging : Trailer Hitch : WeatherTech Floor Lining, Cargo Mat, Bumper XL : Complete Blackout, Full Chrome Delete : BavSound Stage One Speaker & Ghost Subwoofer Upgrade : EuroStart Remote Engine Start : Heko Rain Guards
Appreciate 1
      04-13-2023, 03:49 PM   #9
Carlman3
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boltokgroq View Post
It’s funny, I felt the same way for the first 3-4 months of owning my X1. I’ve finally gotten my footwork down to where it’s smooth, but it does take some getting used to.
That's what I've done. I'm in a good place with it for now.. but I would like to address it when the time comes. They make a hissing noise as I stop too. (more than I'm used to hearing on other cars I've owned)

Replacement time might come when I've reached my annoyance limit... For now I tolerate it all, and it's fine... just 1 more odd thing about the F48 that makes it a little less BMW-like than others I've owned...

Edit after some thought/feel:
I think the problem may be in soft control arm bushings.. or something flexy in the front. I drove my 328i the other day and the brakes are just perfectly linear, well modulated.. they don't change the braking quality.
Getting back into the X1 and coming to a stop just feels like something is moving into a more binding alignment; causing that 'reeling up' feel in the brake pressure. I think it has to do with something flexing that shouldn't. I will try the Meyle HD arms at some point and see if that's the issue... probably not this year though.

Last edited by Carlman3; 04-25-2023 at 10:01 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2023, 06:19 AM   #10
Carlman3
Private
Rep

Quick update, I felt a vibration when applying brakes at higher speed.. I went to install new spacers and when I took off the wheels, I realized 1 side had some loose lug bolts. 3 per wheel were hand tight. My car got new front tires as part of the CPO prep. It doesn't surprise me that my local dealer would miss this. Every repair I've had done there required a follow up.

Anyway.. I'm happy to report I've solved 1 part of my braking issue. Also, I've got lots of pad left. So I'm going to bleed it and flush with new fluid next.

Last edited by Carlman3; 06-15-2023 at 12:25 PM.. Reason: Clarified that removing the wheels was when I noticed the loose lugs.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2023, 11:39 PM   #11
Nokbmw24
Rep
Drives: X1

I hated the brake grab as well and after three years I put ATE Ceramic pads on and what a difference, no more grab at all, almost no brake dust and very quiet, I wish I'd done it years ago.
Appreciate 1
      11-17-2023, 01:21 AM   #12
CryptoHeff
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlman3 View Post

How did you go with this? We
Are the new (second) owners of a 2017 X1 and I hate the brake feel. Mainly the late jerkiness/bite right before coming to a complete stop.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2023, 06:29 PM   #13
N1ck’19
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 20i M Sport

My brakes are as described above. I just think it’s how it is and something I need to get used to. Don’t think there is anything wrong per se, but it is annoying and tricky to brake smoothly. I’ve only had the car 3 weeks but I’m getting used to it.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2023, 06:57 PM   #14
knightarmor
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3

As far as I can tell it's a weight balance thing. Having swapped from KWs to factory M-sport suspension numerous times this is one thing I took into consideration when keeping the KWs on finally. I noticed over time the front rotors didn't seem to get used as much as the rears based on their visual appearance when on the factory suspension. I noticed the front to rear "use" was more balanced after lowering the X1 which also translated into smoother and more consistent "balanced" braking (front to rear). Don't ask me to explain much more than that but this is my experience. Lowering the X1 resolved the issue for me.
Appreciate 0