BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) GodD@mn Coolant Leak- 2018 x1 X-Drive

10-30-2023, 02:25 PM   #1
knightarmor
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3

GodD@mn Coolant Leak- 2018 x1 X-Drive

Of course I had to jinx myself after replying to another post where someone asked how reliable the X1 may or may not be... WTF?

So I came out Sunday afternoon (after last driving the X1 Saturday morning) and opened the garage door to find a puddle of coolant at the front of our X1. Moved it over to our lift bay and cleaned up the mess. Didn't seem like alot but the felt aero shield seems to have absorbed quite a bit as it kept dripping overnight.

Today is Monday I've been disassembly things, removed the intake manifold to verify it's not a leak from above. It's a slow drip that literally looks like it's coming from between the oil pan and block right where the oil filter housing is.

I found pictures of the housing which is part of the oil cooler. Can anyone confirm if coolant runs through the cooler? I suspect this whole assembly which is partially plastic has cracked or a seal has failed but want to verify coolant actually runs through this piece.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2023, 08:39 AM   #2
mrpingu
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 F48 X1 xDrive 18D

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by knightarmor View Post
Of course I had to jinx myself after replying to another post where someone asked how reliable the X1 may or may not be... WTF?

So I came out Sunday afternoon (after last driving the X1 Saturday morning) and opened the garage door to find a puddle of coolant at the front of our X1. Moved it over to our lift bay and cleaned up the mess. Didn't seem like alot but the felt aero shield seems to have absorbed quite a bit as it kept dripping overnight.

Today is Monday I've been disassembly things, removed the intake manifold to verify it's not a leak from above. It's a slow drip that literally looks like it's coming from between the oil pan and block right where the oil filter housing is.

I found pictures of the housing which is part of the oil cooler. Can anyone confirm if coolant runs through the cooler? I suspect this whole assembly which is partially plastic has cracked or a seal has failed but want to verify coolant actually runs through this piece.
Damn, that sucks.
Cannot help you on your question though...
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2023, 09:00 AM   #3
saphirschwarz.f48
Private
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW F48 X1 sDrive

Quote:

Seems like so… someone had the same thing happened before too. If it’s coming from the oil cooler it probably is because of a cracked wall in the housing.
https://f48.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...67&postcount=2
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2023, 10:37 AM   #4
jrveron
Captain
Argentina
Rep
Drives: 2023 X3 m40i

Quote:

Most likely, it comes from the water pump or some of the hoses around (RealOEM). When was the last time you replaced it?
Attached Images

10-31-2023, 11:19 AM   #5
knightarmor
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by saphirschwarz.f48 View Post
Seems like so… someone had the same thing happened before too. If it’s coming from the oil cooler it probably is because of a cracked wall in the housing.
https://f48.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...67&postcount=2
Yes, pinpointed it to that location. Thank you for the link!
Appreciate 1
      11-01-2023, 07:04 PM   #6
knightarmor
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Found the problem.

Has anyone replaced using the aluminum two piece assembly?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-03-2023, 11:06 AM   #7
knightarmor
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Updating this.
So I ordered the aluminum assembly from ECS and am waiting for that. I figured I'd post a picture for anyone else wondering how the coolant runs are into the oil filter housing/cooler assembly.
Not too bad if you disconnect coolant hoses (or just let the leak continue while the car is sitting). I was concerned about cross contamination but the way the coolant runs are situated getting coolant into the oil runs is unlikely.
Real pain and I will post a complaint to the NHTSA website. This is unacceptable considering this seems to be a problem stemming back to other models BMW has produced previously.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      11-11-2023, 02:26 PM   #8
00max00
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 - option loaded

I think sooner or later, everyone will have the same problem. BMW engineering fail. Is it difficult to remove the oil filter assembly? There are some aluminum replacement on sale on Amazon. I will get that when the time comes.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2023, 07:10 PM   #9
knightarmor
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

It is actually not that difficult of a job, mostly just time consuming and messy (coolant and oil spillage). The thing to be careful with is all of the plastic parts, making sure you don't break anything. The intake manifold bothers me the most as you have to remove this to get access to the filter housing.

Finished up the job today finally. Have put roughly 60 miles on the X1 and no issues.

The bleed procedure with the electric water pump never worked for me so I just did it the old fashioned way. Let the vehicle warm up and topped off as required.

Picture of the aluminum filter housing. I picked up the one from ECS with lifetime warranty. Something to be aware of is the OEM filter housing plug and OEM filter with not fit directly. I swapped over the OEM filter housing and have to modify the OEM filter to get it to fit in the new aluminum housing.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-12-2024, 05:57 PM   #10
NiNeTyOne
Touring cars rock
United_States
Rep
Drives: e91 330xi / 997 GT3 Cup

Doing this next weekend, same update as you. How long did it take you to do the entire job, end to end? Any hoses I might consider replacing at the same time?
      04-12-2024, 09:59 PM   #11
knightarmor
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

I guesstimate it takes about 10-14 hours from start to finish for someone who hasn't done it before. I think it took us about 6 hours but the car sat for two weeks or so while I figured things out and waited for parts to arrive.
The only part you will need to replace is a plastic pipe that sits above the filter housing assembly. You have to remove this to get the housing out and I couldn't find just the o-ring for it. I bought the whole assembly with o-ring at ECS also.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2024, 06:04 AM   #12
mgg1971
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X1

Hi, could you tell me where I can buy that piece?
I changed it in the shop 3 months ago and they confirmed that it was not made of metal.
If someone can give me the information to make the purchase.
Since the mechanic tells me that in 5-6 years it will happen again...
thank you
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2024, 11:32 AM   #13
knightarmor
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgg1971 View Post
Hi, could you tell me where I can buy that piece?
I changed it in the shop 3 months ago and they confirmed that it was not made of metal.
If someone can give me the information to make the purchase.
Since the mechanic tells me that in 5-6 years it will happen again...
thank you
This is the one I got.
https://www.ecstuning.com/b-bremmen-...28585235m~brp/
Appreciate 0