BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) Drivetrain/limit issue

07-15-2017, 01:18 PM   #1
immy786r123
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 F48

Drivetrain/limit issue

Hi guys, just had this pop up on my idrive. Is it Safe to drive? Mentioned drivetrain problem, speed limit issue.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-16-2017, 11:53 PM   #2
Bluezed
Bluezed
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X1 25d xLine MG

If it mentioned 'Problem with Drivetrain but safe to continue at reasonable speed and full power may not be available' or similar wording, your EGR valve might just be about to expire!!
I broke down on Friday car full of people and luggage on the way to catch a ship at Southampton. Luckily it happened just after I left home otherwise it would have been a disaster. I was able to limp to local garage, only some 1/2 mile away and leave it there while we used another car.
This message came out of nowhere. When I first saw it I stopped the engine , checked all systems, which all showed ticks for 'ok', restarted the engine and all seemed fine. Within 1/2 mile no power at all, spluttering and cutting out. After sitting for a while it started but still spluttering and no revs but managed to nurse it back to the dealer. After 5 hours, got a call to say EGR valve failed and they had now fixed it. It is a known problem and recall is out but they hadn't had it for my car yet!!! Not happy and I'll be letting them know when I pick it up today.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2017, 03:47 AM   #3
jsdh89j9ijkL
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: motorcycle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluezed View Post
If it mentioned 'Problem with Drivetrain but safe to continue at reasonable speed and full power may not be available' or similar wording, your EGR valve might just be about to expire!!
I broke down on Friday car full of people and luggage on the way to catch a ship at Southampton. Luckily it happened just after I left home otherwise it would have been a disaster. I was able to limp to local garage, only some 1/2 mile away and leave it there while we used another car.
This message came out of nowhere. When I first saw it I stopped the engine , checked all systems, which all showed ticks for 'ok', restarted the engine and all seemed fine. Within 1/2 mile no power at all, spluttering and cutting out. After sitting for a while it started but still spluttering and no revs but managed to nurse it back to the dealer. After 5 hours, got a call to say EGR valve failed and they had now fixed it. It is a known problem and recall is out but they hadn't had it for my car yet!!! Not happy and I'll be letting them know when I pick it up today.

Had the EGR software update been installed from earlier in the year?

Just curious.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2017, 03:49 AM   #4
jsdh89j9ijkL
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: motorcycle

aha, you hadn't had it installed.

As you were.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2017, 10:41 AM   #5
raymitch1326
Private
Rep
Drives: sDrive2.0iSport LCI ordered

Couple of days after reading "Drivetrain " issue post, I had same message this morning. The message flashed up quickly so impossible to read detail but "Drive Train" and something about "performance problem" and advised to drive steadily and get it checked... My car 2.0D has done 20k and recently had 1st service. The same message occurred 50 miles later. There was no noticeable loss in performance or any other issues but have it booked in next week for check. Anyone else had this problem and ..know reason, solution..?
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2017, 11:28 AM   #6
Bluezed
Bluezed
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X1 25d xLine MG

Went to dealers Monday to pick up car and let off some steam. Apparently the service engineer who called me, "wasn't strictly correct in what he said".
It is not waiting for a recall. It is part of a maintenance program procedure. I think that basically means when the car goes in for something else they check the EGR valve??!! They did however say they are getting quite a few of these issues at the moment.
When I drove the car back on Monday, only about a 3 mile trip, the electric cooling fan came on when I got home. It must have been running for over 5 minutes after switching the engine off. It has never done that before so I suspect another issue is looming
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2017, 08:54 AM   #7
Phobia
Enlisted Member
Norway
Rep
Drives: F48 xDrive 20i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluezed View Post
Went to dealers Monday to pick up car and let off some steam. Apparently the service engineer who called me, "wasn't strictly correct in what he said".
It is not waiting for a recall. It is part of a maintenance program procedure. I think that basically means when the car goes in for something else they check the EGR valve??!! They did however say they are getting quite a few of these issues at the moment.
When I drove the car back on Monday, only about a 3 mile trip, the electric cooling fan came on when I got home. It must have been running for over 5 minutes after switching the engine off. It has never done that before so I suspect another issue is looming
Sure it was the cooling fan and not the radiator fan? The radiator fan can run some minutes after engine is turned off.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2017, 04:56 PM   #8
MikeUK
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X1 xdrive 2.0d M Sport

Posted this in June under EGR Valve thread

For info to diesel owners....2.0 D...15 months old... 12k miles

After getting warnings of Drivetrain Error and reduced power every couple of journeys which cleared on restart each time, car went into dealer for review. Fixed problem by replacing faulty EGR Valve. 500miles since with no repeat.
Appreciate 1
      07-23-2017, 02:49 PM   #9
immy786r123
Private First Class
Rep

Thanks guys, I have mine booked in tomorrow morning. Will update what they say, but most likely faulty EGR valve as many have said.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2017, 01:17 PM   #10
immy786r123
Private First Class
Rep

So turns out the problem was caused by the throttle pedal module, no EGR problem like most X1's strange.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2017, 07:11 AM   #11
raymitch1326
Private
Rep
Drives: sDrive2.0iSport LCI ordered

Result of check was a faulty EGR Valve. Apparently tests showed that valve operation was slow/uneven so replaced. Let`s hope I do not have to have replaced after next 20K miles...when it will not be under warranty!
Appreciate 0