BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) Retrofitting?

03-13-2018, 04:39 PM   #1
mikeyb74
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20 330ix M Sport

Garage List
Retrofitting?

I just picked up a 2018 Alpine White with Mocha F48 X1 28ix. I'm far from being new to the BMW scene. Having owned atleast 10 e30s, 2 e46s, and 1 e90 over the years. Worked at Bavauto.com for 15+ years and now at a large BMW dealer. I traded a 2012 MINI Clubman S that was wearing out. So my question is can you retrofit options and features to the F48 like you could in the older BMWs I've owned? Are these prewired from the factory for these options? I would love to retrofit the LED fog lights from the F39 X2, paddle shifters, and rear fog lights. Really want to retro fit heated seats but thats probably isn't possible.

Last edited by mikeyb74; 03-13-2018 at 04:58 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2018, 02:14 AM   #2
The Beast
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: VW Transporter Sportline

You work at a BMW dealership... can’t you ask one of the technicians?
Appreciate 1
ttimbo280.00
      03-14-2018, 05:00 AM   #3
ChilledOut
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 S18 D Auto

A good auto electrician could retrofit heated seats for you as there are kits available. We have a great company in Newcastle called Autosounds who will fit them for you.... surely there’ll be one near you who could do it.
Once you have heated seats they are one hell of a miss if you buy a car without them!
Ok a kit will have different switchgear visible but if you can’t get BMW ones these would be an option—————Our heated seats offer the factory fitted look and feel. Highly flexible, coated heating elements are placed between the upholstery and the seat cover, without altering the shape or look of the seat. The heated seat elements are fitted to both the seat base and lower back for maximum comfort and warmth.

The temperature can be adjusted in two stages to suit individual preferences. A switch is installed for each seat, enabling both passengers to set their preferred heating level.

Benefits of heated seats:

Can help relieve back problems in the car
Warm you up quicker than the in car heater
Professional installation ensures factory fitted standards
No change to the aesthetics of the vehicle
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2018, 03:13 PM   #4
mikeyb74
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Beast View Post
You work at a BMW dealership... can’t you ask one of the technicians?
I did ask but could not a straight answer.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2018, 11:37 PM   #5
spitpilot
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 230iX, 2017 X1 M sp X

Take a look at Real OEM...in particular the wiring harnesses...I thought I could just get a mirror switch with the folding button and retrofit...thinking all BMW would change to add folding mirrors was the switch with the fold button...NO..the wiring harness was different...so there's more to retrofitting now than in the past!
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2018, 07:36 PM   #6
mikeyb74
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by spitpilot View Post
Take a look at Real OEM...in particular the wiring harnesses...I thought I could just get a mirror switch with the folding button and retrofit...thinking all BMW would change to add folding mirrors was the switch with the fold button...NO..the wiring harness was different...so there's more to retrofitting now than in the past!
All the new BMWs have custom hand made wiring harnesses from what I was told by my parts manager. So retrofitting is basically a thing of the past.
Appreciate 0