BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) Finding my X1 uncomfortable

06-29-2016, 05:23 AM   #45
Vogit
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X1 xDrive 20D xLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintsman View Post
I mentioned the seats to my wife when I first saw this post.

Last night when she came in from work the first thing she said was.....

Christian says, "If it's uncomfortable come down to the factory and we'll mould a custom cushion"

Turns out she mentioned it to a friend at work who's husband works for Red Bull at Milton Keynes and the Christian is Mr Horner himself.

I've been promised a factory tour for some time now, and I've been invited down at the end of the year after the current season ends.

Now about that carbon fibre mobility scooter Mr Horner..............
Appreciate 1
      06-29-2016, 06:40 AM   #46
ttimbo
Major
Rep
Drives: F48 X1 25i AW; F20 M135i AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintsman
I mentioned the seats to my wife when I first saw this post.

Last night when she came in from work the first thing she said was.....

Christian says, "If it's uncomfortable come down to the factory and we'll mould a custom cushion"

Turns out she mentioned it to a friend at work who's husband works for Red Bull at Milton Keynes and the Christian is Mr Horner himself.

I've been promised a factory tour for some time now, and I've been invited down at the end of the year after the current season ends.

Now about that carbon fibre mobility scooter Mr Horner..............
I could be impressed, but then I'm thinking if t was the Williams team, they'd have the job done in under 2 seconds!
Appreciate 1
      06-29-2016, 07:44 AM   #47
KPD
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F48 xDrive 20i xLine

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttimbo View Post
I could be impressed, but then I'm thinking if t was the Williams team, they'd have the job done in under 2 seconds!
View post on imgur.com
Appreciate 2
      07-04-2016, 12:21 PM   #48
UD2
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E90 323i & F48 X1 28i

seats are on issue, it's also the tire/suspension combination that make the car fairly harsh when it comes to pot holes and uneven pavement.

I find the suspension that's used on the Xline F48 X1 to be much stiffer than my E90 3 series, with no added handling improvements.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2016, 01:02 PM   #49
Thq
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW and Fiat

Quote:
Originally Posted by UD2 View Post
seats are on issue, it's also the tire/suspension combination that make the car fairly harsh when it comes to pot holes and uneven pavement.

I find the suspension that's used on the Xline F48 X1 to be much stiffer than my E90 3 series, with no added handling improvements.
My advise: Always take the DDC/EDC and the leather sportseats. Makes a big difference when in Comfort or in Sport. BMW has definitely changed the basic configuration in the latest models.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2017, 02:20 PM   #50
Quantumn
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17' M240i & 16' X1

Is there any way to get the sports seats online?

I'm having trouble finding a source for them .

After driving my M240i...I realized that I MUST have sport seats haha.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2017, 12:49 AM   #51
Bimar
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Bmw X

Comments like these make me apprehension on pulling the trigger, you don't see much of these on the other X series. Plan to downgrade the Xline wheels to 17" non rft and hope for the best. I heard someone here mention from 2017 the standard seats are improved.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2017, 10:05 AM   #52
DonMirkone
Rep
Drives: F48 18sDrive, W204 redisign

Quote:
Originally Posted by X4guy View Post
Comments like these make me apprehension on pulling the trigger, you don't see much of these on the other X series. Plan to downgrade the Xline wheels to 17" non rft and hope for the best. I heard someone here mention from 2017 the standard seats are improved.
I have 18 inch wheels with RFTs and standard seats and no problems at all once when I found my position behind the steering wheel. It is not as comfortable as 5 series ofc, but nor does it costs that much.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2017, 12:00 PM   #53
mr_lab_rat
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2, 2018 X1

My experience with sport seats and 18 inch non-RFT.

It took a day to adjust the seats. Very different feel compared to my old e46 sport seats. The bottom cushion is quite flat and narrow. I don't mind I got a tiny ass. The seat back is very different. The side bolsters are very pronounced, width is adjustable. It feels like the two pieces of the seat don't belong together (one is too flat, the other one is really aggressive).

But after two days of driving I found a position I'm very happy with. I believe I can do long road trips with this setting.

The tires are fine, not too noisy. Ride is great balance of firm and comfortable. The car is very stable.

I'm very happy with the car.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2017, 02:41 PM   #54
TygerBright
Private
Rep
Drives: X1 20d Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thq View Post
My advise: Always take the DDC/EDC and the leather sportseats. Makes a big difference when in Comfort or in Sport. BMW has definitely changed the basic configuration in the latest models.
Hi The - what changes do you refer to here? For reference, I have EDC with my Sport X1. I thought it makes no difference with EDC and Comfort mode? But seeing as I don't have another X1 without EDC I can't really compare
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2017, 06:36 PM   #55
ttimbo
Major
Rep
Drives: F48 X1 25i AW; F20 M135i AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by TygerBright View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thq View Post
Hi The - what changes do you refer to here? For reference, I have EDC with my Sport X1. I thought it makes no difference with EDC and Comfort mode? But seeing as I don't have another X1 without EDC I can't really compare
BMW made in-line production changes to the suspension parts fitted to EDC-equipped X1s with effect from January 2016 (evidenced by part number changes). There may have been more since -- I haven't checked. The result is that the Comfort setting in EDC-equipped X1s was a little softer than previously. Non-EDC cars have a suspension setting that is a compromise between Comfort and Sport, hence some people complain about non-EDC cars having a slightly firmer (some say harsh) ride.
Appreciate 1
      09-07-2017, 01:38 AM   #56
TygerBright
Private
Rep
Drives: X1 20d Sport

Cheers ttimbo

I have a Oct 2016 build and love the smooth buttock caressing ride in Comfort mode ... equally enjoy slipping into Sport mode when the mrs and kids are elsewhere.
Appreciate 1
ttimbo280.00
      09-25-2017, 04:16 AM   #57
Bimar
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Bmw X

Just wondering, isn't the first Gen X1 more comfortable and quieter....?
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2017, 04:46 PM   #58
lucamatblu41
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 G01 2019 M SPORT 30D

Garage List
I test drove a number of different trims recently and found the best combination to be the 18" Non Run Flats in the M Sport trim which has the Sport seats which are much more comfortable & supportive which are heated as standard, the standard seats you get on the X Line are not very supportive & have the feel of sitting on rather than in the seat...I picked up X1 M Sport in Sapphire Black at the weekend and happy I took quite a few test drives.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2017, 04:19 PM   #59
Wisly
Private
Croatia
Rep
Drives: X1 18d

I wrote before and I write again, I bought X1 with 17" nonrunflat and now after 17 000km I would not change anything. I have sport seats also. Ride is very comfortable but also when I am alone in the car and put it in sport mode handling is perfect ( I have EDC/DDC ) .
I would maybe go for 18" just for the better look but I know that would give me a headache with less comfort, maybe even higher consumption. I can only imagine how 19" uncomfortable is.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2017, 04:26 AM   #60
gnx
Όλα ρόδες
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
Standard seats are pretty horrible unfortunately. Didn't get sport seats since wife insisted on a folding front passenger seat which can't be had with sport seats.

EDC plus 18 inch non RFT give a supple ride in comfort mode plus good balance and reasonable agility in sport.

The optional stereo makes me uncomfortable though. Kids can't hear anything in the back, always ask us to turn it up and then you get a headache. HK stereo is neccessary.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2017, 03:48 PM   #61
BemweeBE
Rep
Drives: 335i E92 - X1 xDrive18d F48

Took delivery of our X1 in the meantime. xLine, 18d xDrive, 18" non-RF, EDC, leather sports seats with lumbar support.

Really very happy with the entire setup.

The seats aren't as good as my E92 (also sports), but far from terrible. As opposed to pretty much any other seat, I need a tiny bit of lumbar on these so happy we got that. Only thing I don't like is the headrest sticking forward a bit too much, and not being adjustable. It's OK in normal driving but sometimes you just want to lean back.

The ride comfort is good as well, in comfort it has this nice 'loping' way of moving over compressions, which feels quite luxurious (reminds of a typical luxo 'barge' or big SUV), but still retains good body control. Large ridges thump a little bit, but that seems common for high-riding cars that try to keep some body control. I can imagine 17" being even more comfortable, but this is hardly into uncomfortable territory - not at all.

I also note that the combination of a big (2 liter) diesel lump and xDrive (which adds some heft) gives the car a 'weighty' feel. Certainly doesn't seem to make it more uncomfortable (it's a bit like when you load a car up, it also tends to settle down into the road more).

Finally if you then switch EDC to 'sport', it basically puts concrete into the dampers. I am far from convinced that this actually improves the handling in any objective way, but subjectively it does make the car feel more tied down and communicative. I can't see myself using it too much (doesn't really fit the character or purpose of the car and I have another toy for those moments), but it's certainly not bad for that occasional late evening push-on.

In conclusion: avoid RF, 18" is OK but 19" probably a bit rough, EDC very worthwhile for the price, sport seats probably a must (haven't tried standard but read little good about them), and don't forget to tick the lumbar support box!
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2018, 05:27 AM   #62
cretzu
Registered
Rep
Drives: X1 f48 1.8d xdrive xline

does any of you know if EDC or DDC can be added after purchasing the car?
Appreciate 0