BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) x1 Mods

04-24-2017, 05:38 PM   #1
dhurng
Rep
Drives: '19 i8

x1 Mods

Hey f48 family!

Just recently picked up an f48 non sport. Just wanted to start on a build thread and any advice/suggestions would be much appreciated :]

*Lights*
- OEM BMW light up door/floor sills

- Bake headlights to paint over the reflectors or just get euro spec?

- Wrap: Silver trim under fog light / lower front lip / rear diffuser / mirror caps / shadow line

- OEM Performance Grilles

- 3M Crystaline 25% tint to match the 24% back and 70% front tints to block the heat

- Rear Mud Flaps

- 3M black and white emblems

- Opened up second valve of stock exhaust

- ECS black exhaust tips 4" but need some mod to have it fit, suggest double layering

p.s. bmw air freshner is pretty incredible, I would recommend those who like to sniff stuff

Thank you!
Attached Images

Last edited by dhurng; 05-31-2017 at 01:05 PM.. Reason: Update 5/31!
Appreciate 4
Reefy38.00
      04-24-2017, 09:35 PM   #2
tranceaddict
Canada
Rep
Drives: X1 2017

What are you doing with your car? Its not a civic
Appreciate 3
      04-24-2017, 11:54 PM   #3
dhurng
Rep

No like? Hmm i thought they were pretty simple and clean changes.
Appreciate 1
BMWZ41909.50
      04-25-2017, 01:53 AM   #4
ttimbo
Major
Rep
Drives: F48 X1 25i AW; F20 M135i AW

It's your car!
Appreciate 2
BMWZ41909.50
Reefy38.00
      04-25-2017, 03:02 AM   #5
MrTracey
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F48 X1 xDrive20i MSport

You're probably asking in the wrong forum. Try the "Pimp my Ride" user club.
      04-25-2017, 03:39 AM   #6
Forgiven
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 22, X5 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranceaddict View Post
What are you doing with your car? Its not a civic
And what have you doing with your car? It's a Bmw that can be personalized.

What's up with these haters on this forum?
      04-25-2017, 07:23 AM   #7
nyalpine90
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: MY24 G01 AW Msport

Garage List
2016 BMW X4  [9.33]
its your car, you can personalize it as you please.
post some pics!
Appreciate 2
BMWZ41909.50
      04-25-2017, 10:13 AM   #8
jonkarn
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '14 F31 M-Sport Stage 1 GS

Yeah really, whats the issue if the guy wants to customize the car? You guys are acting like its Rolls Royce or something. Don't forget, its an entry level BMW(some say its barely that), not sacred or anything. To each their own!
      04-25-2017, 11:01 AM   #9
dhurng
Rep

woow definitely not what i expected at all, i appreciate those that are more respectful. But yah this is definitely the most hated forum by far

But aside from that I ordered a few parts so hoping to get those installed and will post pics soon :]
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2017, 11:08 AM   #10
dhurng
Rep

For those that are interested, prior to Astrid (x1) we have here Serenity (e90) and Cortana (F30)

Sorry the pics are sideways, i figured it was too much work to flip

Also I think one thing is misunderstanding, as I read my original post I think many of the mods do sound tacky. I suppose only pictures will do justice right.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      04-25-2017, 01:06 PM   #11
nyalpine90
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW X4  [9.33]
my wifes x1 needs to be refresh so with that said.

gloss black grilles
tint front windows match rears
vinyl wrap satin pieces around door and roof rails with matte black or gloss black.

not sure if i want to do same with xline trim.

Appreciate 1
BMWZ41909.50
      04-25-2017, 08:31 PM   #12
dhurng
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyalpine90 View Post
my wifes x1 needs to be refresh so with that said.

gloss black grilles
tint front windows match rears
vinyl wrap satin pieces around door and roof rails with matte black or gloss black.

not sure if i want to do same with xline trim.

Sorry is this stuff you plan on doing? I just did the tint today I think it was crystaline 25% was closest match since stock they said was 24% fyi and I got the grilles on just now as well!

I think the wrap would be a great touch, especially with that color. I did a photoshop of what it would be like to cover the silver trims in the front bumper, definitely much more aggressive.

Good Luck :]
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2017, 09:34 PM   #13
Ridin'Dirty
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '93 'Beemer' R100r, '17 X1(S)

I don't think any of the mods that you are considering are all that radical, just 'personalization'. My first stop will be the tint shop, then to the detailer to have it de-badged and finally a stop at a coder to have things adjusted to my way of how things should be. I'd really like to lose the roof rails while I'm at it. It's only a car - just do it and make it 'yours'.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2017, 01:54 AM   #14
dhurng
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin'Dirty View Post
I don't think any of the mods that you are considering are all that radical, just 'personalization'. My first stop will be the tint shop, then to the detailer to have it de-badged and finally a stop at a coder to have things adjusted to my way of how things should be. I'd really like to lose the roof rails while I'm at it. It's only a car - just do it and make it 'yours'.
Much appreciated and definitely concur :] I did a debage but just the back, i think the sides were kind of neat. And yess tints were the first I just did, ill do some wrapping tomorrow and post pics after.

Unfortunately I don't know of any coders around here anymore but I can't think of anything different I would do.

In terms of the rails that would be interesting, if I undergo the roof wrap I will take them off and see if wrapping over them will look good.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2017, 02:31 AM   #15
Forgiven
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 22, X5 45e

Since you asked, I think there's an exhaust system for our F48. it's the Super Sprint (reputable brand).

Also you would have to code if you want to opt in for LED fog lights. I can do that for if you are close to Orange County or LA County. PM for this.

http://www.supersprint.com/ww-en/bmw...2-hp-2015.aspx
      04-26-2017, 03:42 AM   #16
Smokingsig
Rep
Drives: X1 F48

Please post before and after ! Sounds interesting
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2017, 07:23 AM   #17
nyalpine90
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW X4  [9.33]
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Hurng View Post
Sorry is this stuff you plan on doing? I just did the tint today I think it was crystaline 25% was closest match since stock they said was 24% fyi and I got the grilles on just now as well!

I think the wrap would be a great touch, especially with that color. I did a photoshop of what it would be like to cover the silver trims in the front bumper, definitely much more aggressive.

Good Luck :]
its on the to do list.
shes had it over a year now.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2017, 08:22 AM   #18
jonkarn
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '14 F31 M-Sport Stage 1 GS

First thing I did was black grill mod. I also had difficulty removing stock grills and had to pay $80 for dealership to do it. Not a big deal. Tinting front windows to match back is next. Wrapping silver trim around windows would be my next wish, but I don't think I want another thing to worry about(peeling, nicks, etc). Don't love the window trim. The stock Xline silver trim in the front sides and back skirting is actually very well done already
      04-26-2017, 01:51 PM   #19
dhurng
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forgiven View Post
Since you asked, I think there's an exhaust system for our F48. it's the Super Sprint (reputable brand).

Also you would have to code if you want to opt in for LED fog lights. I can do that for if you are close to Orange County or LA County. PM for this.

http://www.supersprint.com/ww-en/bmw...2-hp-2015.aspx
Wow thank you so much for sharing! I will definitely look into these, I am going to try to open the 2nd valve today and see how that sounds, not expecting much so I might be down to get these :] And thank you for the offer as well, I will let you know if I make the trip down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokingsig View Post
Please post before and after ! Sounds interesting
Will do! Im doing the window trim at the moment, turns out the roof rails are super hard since so much curvature (I am not experienced enough) So maybe paint them?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyalpine90 View Post
its on the to do list.
shes had it over a year now.
ahh I see well best of luck to her!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonkarn View Post
First thing I did was black grill mod. I also had difficulty removing stock grills and had to pay $80 for dealership to do it. Not a big deal. Tinting front windows to match back is next. Wrapping silver trim around windows would be my next wish, but I don't think I want another thing to worry about(peeling, nicks, etc). Don't love the window trim. The stock Xline silver trim in the front sides and back skirting is actually very well done already
I agree, the stock ones were more challenging for me too. As for the trims they do look great indeed, I just find myself more inclined for an individual but also mildly more aggressive look.

Stay tuned!
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2017, 01:58 AM   #20
Gavlenko
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 (F48) M Sport 2.0d

Well Done

David, great thread and an interesting number of jobs that you are undertaking. I'm, impressed and glad that you shared with us all. I'd consider the window tints but from a legal standpoint (our MOT checks in Northern Ireland are very strict) I'd err on the side of caution and leave my car stock - even though it would look far better with the front windows matching. Keep up the good work and keep us all updated - Gavin
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2017, 12:25 PM   #21
dhurng
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavlenko View Post
David, great thread and an interesting number of jobs that you are undertaking. I'm, impressed and glad that you shared with us all. I'd consider the window tints but from a legal standpoint (our MOT checks in Northern Ireland are very strict) I'd err on the side of caution and leave my car stock - even though it would look far better with the front windows matching. Keep up the good work and keep us all updated - Gavin
Thank you so much for your support! I really appreciate it :]

Regarding the MOT, that is unfortunate! I do understand though especially with tints since it would be a hassle to get them and then have to remove them.

If it helps I do notice that when I went 25% it seemed very light and I keep the sunroof part open so the light that shines through does also make it lighter. *Knock on wood* I haven't been pulled over for tints before and the average tint I go with is 20%
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2017, 08:18 PM   #22
oreoOozZz
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 BGM X3MC

Very nice man. I have the exact same car and so far I've done 20% up front to match the rears. No wonder why it's a bit off, I was told the rears were 20% but now 24% makes sense. From the inside, I notice it. Nobody else really does but I do. Looks all the same from the outside and definitely makes a big difference. I was debating doing the trim as well, it looks good I won't lie but I'm still on the fence. I don't know where your from but I'm in the tri state (NY) and Ive coded a ton of things on both mine and others F48s if your interested. Drop me a PM. One of the stupidest things BMW did was make these cars not be able to have the parking lights on with the fogs and Non-LED fogs also. Nothing a little coding can't fix though as well as the errors that come with going LED. If you check my other posts/threads, I fitted the Philips Xtreme Vision LED foglight bulbs and they are amazing if your looking for a hope choice. I also did the Burger Tuning footwell, courtesy, glovebox, trunk and license plate LEDs. I have pictures of those too with the fog pics. Forgot to mention JB4 and intake too lol. At the end of the day, it's your car man. Do what you want.
Appreciate 1
exclusivo125.50