BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

BPM

05-05-2024, 01:38 AM   #1
revaholic
Registered
Rep
Drives: E93 M3

Manual Transmission Driving Position

Hey everyone, I'm the new owner of a 2011 E93 M3...really happy with it and that V8 makes me so giddy after I drive it. But it has taken me a while to get used to the driving position. Previous car was an FRS so I'm used to sitting low and I like to have my legs pretty extended.

The problem with the M3 I find is when I sit low, the driver's door armrest is way too high that it's pushing my whole left shoulder up, and I can't sit too far from the steering wheel because I find the shift lever to be a reach. So I end up sitting fairly close to the steering wheel and kind of high up. Makes me feel almost like a grandma but it's the only way I feel I am not reaching for the shift lever. I'm a pretty averagely sized guy, about 5'10". The car makes me think that it was probably designed first and foremost as an automatic sedan.

Also I need the steering wheel adjusted almost all the way down to be comfortable, but it obscures the whole top quarter of the gauges. I remember my Dad's 2001 X5 was like this too, we had the steering wheel way down but if you want to see the gauges the steering wheel would be sticking up at an uncomfortable angle.

I'm getting used to the driving position now but wondering if others experienced this especially manual transmission drivers?
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2024, 01:13 PM   #2
e92dud
Private
Rep
Drives: e92 m3

I’ve heard quite a few complaints of the driving position of this car. I have consciously tried to think of something I would improve in it. I can’t find any complaints. Everything on the seat and steering wheel adjust. I’m 6’, maybe different heights are less than ideal? I feel like if the seat was lower it would feel like a catfish Camaro sitting on the floor and I couldn’t see over the hood.
Appreciate 1
      05-05-2024, 01:39 PM   #3
spammysammich
Major
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 M3 Dakar Yellow II

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [10.00]
I found a good video tutorial from bmwcca about seating position setup and use it for all my cars now. I find that setup to be the least fatiguing and gives me the most useful sight lines with my mirrors. The biggest change was adjusting seat back angle and distance from the steering wheel so I could rest my wrists on top of the steering wheel at full arm extension. With my hands at 2,10 o’clock my arms are close to 90 degree bend.

I do up to 360-380 miles some days for work and in my work vehicle this setup gives me the least shoulder pain/fatigue.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2024, 01:41 PM   #4
spammysammich
Major
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 M3 Dakar Yellow II

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [10.00]
The other car in my garage is a BRZ, you’ll never replicate that driving position in the M3 without a set of recaros and lower mounts.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2024, 02:19 PM   #5
revaholic
Registered
Rep
Drives: E93 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by spammysammich View Post
The other car in my garage is a BRZ, you’ll never replicate that driving position in the M3 without a set of recaros and lower mounts.
Haha I am realising that now. Shouldn't be expecting a dedicated two door sports car to have the same driving position as a car that is a four door sedan and also coupe/convertible. Seems like the BMWCCA resources I looked up suggest sitting higher up too, if you find the link would be great to see.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2024, 07:17 AM   #6
BimmerMan33
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW M3, 2014 BMW X5

Yes, coming from a sports car chassis (BRZ/cayman/lotus..), you do sit up higher in the E9x M3, it’s designed to be a comfortable sedan with sporty intentions.
M versions basically do drivetrain & suspension modifications on it..
Drive it for a few days & you will get used to it.
I’ve had a BRZtS, 981 Cayman while having a e92 M3 & I can relate.. all 3 of them offered something unique individually that the other did not. I used to think the ideal car would be the BRZ body with Cayman engine & M3 induction sound.. Lol
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2024, 07:19 AM   #7
BimmerMan33
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW M3, 2014 BMW X5

OP, if really want, Autosolutions can design you a custom shifter to suit your preferred driving position..
Appreciate 0