BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) Air conditioner question

08-14-2016, 09:23 PM   #1
ifletch
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW X1 xDrive28i xLine

Air conditioner question

I have been using my air conditioner a lot the last couple weeks and noticed if I am running the air conditioner and then turn it off it seems to continue to run but even louder than when it was turned on. When you roll down the windows the sound is very noticeable sounds like a jet and the first time I noticed it I thought my RPMS were high but they were not . After a few minutes the sound goes away. Just wondering if this is a normal function?

Last edited by ifletch; 08-16-2016 at 11:04 PM.. Reason: adding additional info
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2016, 02:36 PM   #2
Phaeton
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M2C

Garage List
I'd recommend also to close the rear seat vents when using the A/C. It helps alot with cooling and outputs more air to the front.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2016, 04:15 PM   #3
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep
Drives: BMW

Are you talking about the sound outside the car ?

Then its probably the electric cooling fans that blow air over the engine radiators.
They will work harder if you run the AC, but will also work if the engine needs more cooling for other reasons.

Totally normal.

On older car types the main fan was connected to the engine and RPM dependent. Now they are all electric and will vary their RPM as needed
      08-22-2016, 01:48 PM   #4
ifletch
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW X1 xDrive28i xLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90Fleet View Post
Are you talking about the sound outside the car ?

Then its probably the electric cooling fans that blow air over the engine radiators.
They will work harder if you run the AC, but will also work if the engine needs more cooling for other reasons.

Totally normal.

On older car types the main fan was connected to the engine and RPM dependent. Now they are all electric and will vary their RPM as needed
Yes the noise I notice is what I'd say sounds like a fan. It occurs after turning off the air conditioner while still driving. The sound only lasts for a minute or so. And the noise doesn't always occur depending on how fast I am driving. If I am on local streets it generally comes on. If I am on a highway and turn off the AC the noise doesn't usually occur. Like you mentioned it is likely a cooling feature. When it occurred the first time I immediately looked at my RPMS because it sounded like they were high.
Appreciate 0