View Single Post
      01-08-2014, 09:28 AM   #47
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Thanks for the insights SCOTT. It is encouraging to hear that BMW is at least experimenting with performance UKL offerings. While the FWD vs. RWD debate will always be there, if they can pull off something similar to what Mercedes is doing with the A/CLA/GLA 45 then it at least keeps the portfolio interesting for enthusiasts.

Let's face it, Audi has been very successful with the RS3, TT RS, now the RS Q3. I think BMW can do as good a job if not better with the transverse small car layout. It's going to be interesting to see whether Audi keeps that I5 alive (it certainly has lots of love and heritage), or if they eventually just build a higher output I4 like Mercedes did with the M133.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
It depends on how the market pans out. But next for growth will downsized Performance SUVs for the compact/ sub-compact segment.
We are already seeing some competitors move forward with challengers here.

I recently won a bet from around 10 years ago when I said Porsche will have a mid-size SUV in that 10 years. And have a new bet that there will be a compact Porsche SUV by the end of this decade.

Many at BMW reckon it will be time for BMW X1M to provide high performance in this segment. Early design work has commenced with some proposals using the widened arches of the M235i Racer. For BMW X1 M to exist it will possibly share engine with the upcoming M2. But will be available in xDrive only.

A decision won't be made until the F48 has launched in 2015.

One such vehicle decided will be X1s sister car the MINI Countryman which will come in a full JCW model as MINI move forward to implement JCW on certain models Allowing a BMW M type of exclusivity to JCW.
Appreciate 0