View Single Post
      10-12-2013, 09:06 AM   #35
111R
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Lotus

It kind of looks like the old Saturn FWD crossover - wasn't it called "Vue" or something like that? I drove a current generation X1 rwd and thought it handled nicely. It is based on the E90, so this was not a big surprise.

We considered one for my wife, but it hadn't hit the market yet when we were ready to upgrade. She drove it when I had the loaner and declared that she liked her A3 TDI better. It's not a crossover, but it does have a more compact footprint, which is what she liked.

The point is that most of the vehicles in this size/class are FWD based with AWD available in some. Many of the drivers really don't know/care about FWD vs. RWD, so I guess BMW figured that for their target demographic it would work. Enthusiasts may not like it as much, but this is the same thinking behind no manual transmission option for 3 Series wagons, convertibles, etc.
'17 Audi A4 Ultra, Monsoon Grey, Wife's car
Appreciate 0