07-13-2022, 05:26 AM   #26
pinco000
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bavarian03 View Post
I have the same problem (early 2016 F48) for a few months now. The gear lever works fine (does not come off position) so I erased the warning with BimmerLink - it came back again though.

After reading about it here, I asked the main BMW dealer near me (Greater Manchester area, UK) and they said they never heard of this issue and they certainly didn't comment on the warning appearing when I took the car there for a brake pad service last month.

I am willing to try and fix this myself (encouraged by the posts here) but would like to know if it is worth replacing the spring (with what other spring?) or is it sufficient to just unwind the existing spring a little as suggested by most?

Many thanks!
Hi mate,
what liars the dealership!!! They knkw VERY well!!
Anyway, hm, I have fixed about 10 cars by now and everytime I unwinded the spring by one turn.
No issues at all after putting it back. No errors, nothing to clear.
From the various mileages I ha e seen on these cars, it seems the spring breaks over a time period whether used or not. The car turning up very mostly around 16 plates and the mileages ranged from as low as 20k!! to about 65k.
Good luck with the repair and just takes pictures when dismantling, especially the wiring.
Appreciate 0