12-23-2017, 08:56 PM   #88
nozydog
Driver
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2020 X2 M35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antares View Post
I agree, one must be careful these days when taking "the free press" as a reference; just ask Trump okay, joking here, still, consumers bust be watchful.
The new 1 series is going to share the same basics with the X1, so I doubt BMW is going to make any big difference that would require further financial investment. As for X1 being reference, this is marketing; reference to what? We may doubt "What car?", but let's go over the ocean to US and hear what Consumer Reports has to say. The X1 is a solid car, no doubt, but it's very far away from being a luxury vehicle; only the price is and the badge. It's rather stiff, the whole driving experience is rather unrefined and the cabin is really noisy, the road noise is worse than in mass-market cars; unfit for a premium vehicle (saving on basics).
Rent a M-B GLC, X3 vs. X1 over the weekend and compare the driving experience; totally another planet (the measurements of these cars are not that far apart).
The BMW 2van is plagued by issues, especially the quality of mechanical parts is criminal; the Aisin gearbox-you can't change the oil and its filter, it fills with debris, after 50.000km it is already half consumed, not repairable and BMW sells it for luxury. Look at the excellent auto transmission Peugeot has; way above what BMW puts in its FWD.
Actually the Mini (that has borrowed the platform to the X1) is better executed, and this opinion of me is repeated by Consumer Reports, by people in USA, far away form me or What Car in UK.

I'm not going into Mercedes-Benz FWD vehicles, because those are not solid cars (BMW at least makes a solid package, a FWD mass-market grade car for a luxury price). Mercedes-Benz is "designers merchandise", like "Versace" printed on some item you find in Morocco's market. I don't need What car to confirm me that, or Consumers Report to tear Mercedec-Benz FWD vehicles apart. I've test driven the A-class and it's garbage, not for a premium vehicle, rather compared to mass-market EU cars. Does it sell? Yes, top 10 in UK; it has a saucer sized star badge on its front. But this tells more about the people than about the car.

About the "drive" issue; want something that drives like a racing machine? the new Alpine A110 - the forbidden fruit. It sticks to the road like glue and it's even comfortable and suitable for everyday use; how? Extra lightweight and less mass that needs stiff suspension.

As for the VW-group MBQ platform for Golf, Tiguan, Audi A3, Q3, Q4, Skoda nad Seat brand models. This platform is the best and the industry's standard; the new BMW 1er and M-B A-class are being tested against this platform, that serves them as a reference point. So how is BMW X1being a "reference" is beyond me; unless one considers how to dupe clients to accept a luxury selling price for a good mass-market grade drive experience and average EU quality. The VW group has excellent engineers and the MBQ platform is really excellent; something that has been refined and heavily invested through all these years.
Now you’ve totally confused me, I’m not entirely sure what you’re trying to say! All I said is let’s wait and see, because at the end of the day if the new breed of fwd BMW cars are going to be a second rate drive, sales will drop as most discerning car buyers will read road test reviews before buying!! I believe they will at least be a match for VW/Audi group cars... Audi until recently were always considered a very dull drive and some people still don’t consider them to be particularly dynamic!!
Appreciate 0