View Single Post
      09-09-2013, 06:24 PM   #54
Chris Pringle
Private First Class
Mexico
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i

Anyone who has driven BMW's X1, X3 or even other vehicles in the compact SUV category as the Audi Q3 or the Mazda CX5 will agree that the X1 is the most fun to drive - period.

I have not driven the Mini Countryman. A quick search reveals that it gets some mixed reviews (but generally quite good!) in regard to handling, but it's a vehicle with much less ground clearance than the X1 (6.3" in the Countryman VS. 7.6" in the X1.)

I wonder how the move to a FWD-biased AWD will affect positively/negatively the driving dynamics of the redesigned X1. What will new buyers lose/gain? How will BMW tweak the new X1 to set it apart from everyone else as far as handling? I think AWD, more space inside, comfort and other bells and whistles are nice and dandy, but I could have chosen the X3 or the Audi Q3 if I wanted those things.

So, in two years, what could make you rush to trade-in your current fun-to-drive X1 to get the all-new 2016 X1? Will more horsepower, less turbo lag, more fuel-efficiency, a little more space, more "i" features while giving up on that well-balanced RWD-biased handling do the trick for you? Or, given the changes favoring a FWD platform, will you simply hold on to your current X1 (or worse, take your business somewhere else)?

Last edited by Chris Pringle; 09-10-2013 at 08:16 AM..
Appreciate 0