09-11-2020, 02:54 AM   #80
Peter_R
Air Vice Marshall
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X1 LCI xDrive 2.0i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonegun View Post
As long as you properly break in the engine before 5000 miles, keep the oils changed every 5000 miles ideally (including transfer case, differentials, and transmissions every few ten thousands miles), it should last a long time based on the reliability reports I've seen. It might be one of the most reliable cars BMW has built in the past 10 years.
This is old thinking and old methodology and not necessary because production methods have moved on where machining tolerances have improved to the point where there is no gain or benefit at all by breaking engines in. You just have to follow the manufacturers guide lines in the early life of the components.
Similarly oil technology has moved on where oils are completely synthetic (man made) rather than refined oil from a refinery with just a few additives.
I know all this because for many years I headed a laboratory (using different spectrometry methods to check for wear metals in oil see note below) for the RAF and we monitored all lubricants used in engines and transmissions in vehicles and piston engine aircraft.

I agree with the reliability to some extent, but other manufacturers are just as reliable. The BMW X1 now accounts for 12% of all BMWs production.
Note. Spectrometric Oil Analysis Program. Commonly abbreviated to SOAP.
2020 BMW X1 xDrive 2.0i MSport (F48).
2022 MB EQB 300 4MATIC AMG Line Premium

Last edited by Peter_R; 09-11-2020 at 05:02 AM..
Appreciate 0