View Single Post
      06-19-2016, 11:06 AM   #17
jsdh89j9ijkL
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: motorcycle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin DF753 View Post
I got my X1 just over a month ago - a couple of days into owning I found the seats a bit uncomfortable and the ride very clashy, but assumed I'd get used to it. I've now driven about 2000 miles on a variety of UK roads, and still find it very uncomfortable - I find the ride very tiring and when I get out my back hurts for a few hours. I've tried a whole range of seat adjustments. I have a 20d xline with 19" wheels + runflat, standard seats and standard suspension. Everything else about the car I really like. My previous car was a late 2014 3 series touring (with run-flats) which I found very comfortable. I think my options are:

1. Soldier on and hope I get used to it
2. Change to non-runflats
3. Change to 18" wheels and non-runflats
4. Swap for another X1 with sports seats, 18" wheels and EDC
5. Cut my losses and get a completely different car.

At the moment I'm erring towards 4 or 5, although these would be expensive.
I see from the posts here, and cars on sale that 19" wheels and standard seats are a common combination, so I might be missing something.

Any thoughts or advice would be welcome - anyone had any similar experience?
I'm not sure whether you want to read this, but as you asked for some experience.

I've just finished running in, 2000 miles in just under a couple of weeks and have taken it around Wales, Peak District and the Highlands which satisfies my need to try all surfaces early on and to do 10-12 hour trips in a hit. A top end test will be run soon in Germany.

But:

Sports seats ( full electric with lumbar ).
18 wheels with Bridgestone 255/50s non-RFs.
EDC

Seats:
The Sports seats and headrest seem to have more 'give' than the demo car ( this maybe a trick of the mind though ). The tilt and lumbar adjustments have nailed this car for me, I prefer sitting here than anywhere right now.
The seats have been a relief, though to be honest I did a 6 hour test drive and despite the seats being hard, I didn't suffer from any problems after.
I actually get more discomfort from the Sports seats in the X4, so I wonder if they're too soft.

EDC
makes the car 'bouncy' on undulating surfaces ( think scottish single track roads that are subject to various stresses ), Sport mode controls the rebound here and fixes that.

I'd still option EDC again ( despite my wallet fears when it comes to replacing them ), if you have any experience of ESA on a BMW motorcycle its much the same IMHO, just lacking the 15 settings!

Personally I find the road noise more than I was expecting, but it is after all a jacked-up van and have become more used to it.

In essence, if it was me and it being feasible, I'd go for #4. But you have to remember extra the refinements come in the X3+ and 6 cylinder engines, plus you're higher off the ground than a 3 series.
Appreciate 0