View Single Post
      10-06-2017, 03:48 PM   #61
BemweeBE
Rep
Drives: 335i E92 - X1 xDrive18d F48

Took delivery of our X1 in the meantime. xLine, 18d xDrive, 18" non-RF, EDC, leather sports seats with lumbar support.

Really very happy with the entire setup.

The seats aren't as good as my E92 (also sports), but far from terrible. As opposed to pretty much any other seat, I need a tiny bit of lumbar on these so happy we got that. Only thing I don't like is the headrest sticking forward a bit too much, and not being adjustable. It's OK in normal driving but sometimes you just want to lean back.

The ride comfort is good as well, in comfort it has this nice 'loping' way of moving over compressions, which feels quite luxurious (reminds of a typical luxo 'barge' or big SUV), but still retains good body control. Large ridges thump a little bit, but that seems common for high-riding cars that try to keep some body control. I can imagine 17" being even more comfortable, but this is hardly into uncomfortable territory - not at all.

I also note that the combination of a big (2 liter) diesel lump and xDrive (which adds some heft) gives the car a 'weighty' feel. Certainly doesn't seem to make it more uncomfortable (it's a bit like when you load a car up, it also tends to settle down into the road more).

Finally if you then switch EDC to 'sport', it basically puts concrete into the dampers. I am far from convinced that this actually improves the handling in any objective way, but subjectively it does make the car feel more tied down and communicative. I can't see myself using it too much (doesn't really fit the character or purpose of the car and I have another toy for those moments), but it's certainly not bad for that occasional late evening push-on.

In conclusion: avoid RF, 18" is OK but 19" probably a bit rough, EDC very worthwhile for the price, sport seats probably a must (haven't tried standard but read little good about them), and don't forget to tick the lumbar support box!
Appreciate 0