Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
Didn't I read that the Q3 is built on the Mk5 Golf chassis? So two, almost three generations old?
Not sure about which generation, but in any case it is build on the older PQ35 platform rather than today's MQB matrix. So, yes it is old-ish tech, but the new one is slated to debut next year, and hit the market in the first half of 2019, so it won't be very far behind the X2. And they are said to have an SQ3 coming this time which will be positioned against the X2 M35i and the rumored AMG-lite GLA (or GLB) model as well. So it will be a hotly contested segment.

Plus, the thing about the Audi and Mercedes is that they get the true AMG and Audi Sport RS models too (GLA45 and RS Q3 respectively), whereas there is still no indication whatsoever that BMW has any intention of producing an X1 M or X2 M (or any UKL-based M). That doesn't mean the X2 won't be the better vehicle for most of the market - it may very well be. But the lack of a true flagship to go against the others will be unfortunate.
Yeah, but yuck to Haldex based "sports cars". Hopefully M never touches the sideways motored cars, but I'm sure it's inevitable.
Appreciate 0