02-15-2024, 11:41 AM   #30
Rafichicago
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M5 2009 E63AMG Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malteser_wfj View Post
I've got to say I agree with you about the ergonomics, it's obvious that the automatic was given priority when it came to cockpit ergonomics. I had an E30, then an E46 both manual and now a manual E92 and the shifter is furthest away in the E92 and I kind of miss how it felt to drive the E46, it was much more 'sporty'.

The other point raised about Euro emissions standards killing them is also true and something I buy into as quite a large reason why manuals haven't been getting huge development over the last decade or so.

But the manufacturers will never come out and openly say that the EU's emissions laws are why they're no longer offering a manual because they'll look like they don't care about the environment. So it's easier (and also true) for them to say that the sales numbers are the reason.

I remember watching a Jason Cammisa video on a manual porsche some time ago and he said the gearing had to be stupidly long to pass a noise test at a certain speed or something like that!

So everything from the cars not suiting manuals, to emissions and legislation are all valid points and contribute together to its sad decline.
Exactly the reason why new GT3RS doesn’t come in manual. It wouldn’t pass emissions as a result. There are things manufacturers know but will never admit openly. Business is to big to risk unnecessary repercussions from governing body.
Appreciate 0