View Single Post
      10-31-2023, 06:34 AM   #14
Nicoparko
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 F48

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrveron View Post
Probably I wasn't clear with my previous answer. Even "gas-filled" shocks have oil. The difference is they use nitrogen gas to pressurize the oil and prevent foaming. This provides a reliable stable shock absorber and a big safety improvement over the oil damper which suffers from a noticeable drop in damping force under load.

In simpler words, "gas-filled" shocks are better than only "oil-filled".

As you know, Bilstein is one of the most known brands for shocks, but they tend to be cheaper than OEM. For example, for my X1 with M-sport suspension, the rear shock absorber is 33506886762 (yours will be different).
I highly recommend Bilstein over other brands. Right now I have some Koni Sport, but they don't work with my lowering spring setup. I should go with Bilstein B8 instead.

As a thumb rule:
  • Bilstein B4 - These are classed as a replacement damper. A few B4 variations exist depending on the vehicle application but these are all intended to replace the standard shocks fitted when the car was new.
  • Bilstein B6 - A non-adjustable sport damper which is painted yellow. The B6 damper is designed for the motorist who wants a sporty ride without lowering the car or changing the original springs.
  • Bilstein B8 - just like the B6 shock absorber but shorter. These are only for use with lowering springs or listed for vehicles with factory sports suspension. They are shorter to ensure the all-important coil spring pre-load as lowering springs are shorter than OE springs.

Thank you so much, so knowledgeable…..
Appreciate 0