10-05-2020, 11:42 AM   #28
Skyline2.0
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW X1 xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Watts View Post
https://www.mscdirect.com/product/details/85380715

To anyone doing this, I'd strongly recommend one of these. One of the few tools I don't have (ratcheting 6 points? who needs these?? obviously, BMW mechanics...).

One of the E6 bolts is really hard to access. This will make it way easier. I already bought one for next time.

The fluid capacity is actually just .4L, so you obviously got all of it out. The fluid in mine look terrible as well. It's worth nothing that almost every other Haldex-equipped car comes with a transfer case that holds about 1L of fluid. It's worth changing this on a someone regular basis, IMO.
Agreed. Based on your earlier suggestion I did get a standard E torx double box end wrench set, which I unfortunately couldn't get good use for this one annoying bolt. After experiencing the awkward and cramped space issue firsthand, I realized why you were recommending specifically a ratcheting style E8.

To all owners expecting to keep their X1 long term, seriously consider servicing the transfer case/PTO. The fluid that went in was golden yellow compared to the extremely dark black/green fluid that came out. Also, I did find a few tiny metal shavings at the very bottom as I was pouring into a disposable container. Although color alone isn't an indicator of degradation in the fluid's protective properties or service life, it's well worth the peace of mind. Not very expensive to DIY either as 1L of BMW fluid + 2x screw plugs w/ washers were <$40 after tax.
Appreciate 0