View Single Post
      10-05-2020, 11:05 AM   #26
Skyline2.0
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW X1 xDrive

Thanks much for confirming fluid compatibility, Jack. I called another Parts Dept and they also said the C-SAF-XO 75W90 is appropriate for my XDrive model. Their system did show Synthetic OSP as the proper fluid, but listed the C-SAF-XO part #.

I drained out ~0.4L of transfer case fluid and put in about the same. Fluid was quite nasty. As others noted, drain and fill is straightforward and simple. Most time consuming part was getting the car level and removing one of the bracket/aluminum tube near the passenger/right front CV axle. I spent an inordinate amount of time fussing with 1 bracket due to space restrictions. Pic of the tube removed (separate bracket not shown) and fluid color attached.

Word of caution - There's an electrical component (I believe the starter?) right near the transfer case, which you should not touch with any metal objects. I must've accidentally made contact with my ratchet after cracking the drain plug loose and sparks flew suddenly. Needless to say I was more careful going forward.

Also performed transmission fluid drain and fill twice using Febi Bilstein's ATF 6 fluid (Part # 29934) on my Aisin 8-speed unit. ~3.5L drained out. Color that came out wasn't too dirty. Shifts are definitely smoother and notchiness on inclines seems to be gone.

Checked fluid level @ ~45 Celsius using scan tool. Shifted through each gear twice and held it in position for 2 seconds to get the fluid fully circulated. Took final measure while car was running and waited until only a slow drip came out of the overflow plug.

For transmission service, tips for future members that attempt to DIY this:
1. Get a good 17 mm hex socket and apply a good amount of upward pressure to remove the large overflow plug. The hole is not very deep and there may be a risk of rounding out the overflow plug if you're not careful.
2. Clean off top of transmission before removing fill plug. I had loose particles of dirt and debris that I cleaned off to ensure junk didn't fall into the transmission hole.
3. Get a long extension and long funnel (or fluid extractor syringe pump) to make your life easier when filling with new fluid. The fill hole is fairly deep in the engine bay and a standard funnel will make pouring a bit more difficult.

Thanks to all that contributed to this thread.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0