View Single Post
      08-14-2016, 06:17 AM   #22
ttimbo
Major
Rep
Drives: F48 X1 25i AW; F20 M135i AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pristineship
if you have to carry the spare, then there is really no point of RF tires.
The chance to get a puncture in RF is much higher than regular tire, they are heavier, far less comfortable and with that approach "let's swap the wheel, because we can repair the tire" it is always a russian roullete - you can destroy the tire beyond repair after mere 100 meters. So at that point I would rather drive to the nearest garage and at least "enjoy" the only benefit of RF tire, and then - instead of buying 2 new RF tires, get rid of all of them and buy 4 good regular tires - it won't be much more expensive than the 2 RFs.
The claim that RFTs puncture more easily than non-RFTs is an urban myth. There's no evidence to support the claims, other than simple, " bad luck" anecdotes. The weight difference is pretty minimal, eg, for the Pirelli P7 fitted to many X1s, the RFT is c.13kg, and the non-RFT is a tad less than 12kg. Other brands are similar.

That said, I have invested in a spare wheel kit simply because in Australia and with the driving I do, there's a higher risk I may be somewhere remote when I have a puncture. Or have to rely on driving maybe 100 km or more on the punctured RFT.
Appreciate 1
MJE60681.00